Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A High School Science Teacher

There are two types of secondary science rooms.
The first type has shelves of plastic and glass bottles, all with faded masking tape labels containing long-forgotten liquids.  There are sinks and "work stations" all around the room, their water faucets slightly rusted and stained.
The second type has also got the sinks and "work stations," except they haven't been used in years and are now covered with piles of paper packets.  Inside the glass doored cupboards you will find glass jars containing long-dead creatures, preserved in a pale liquid.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll find that at some point in the past 30 years a seal on a jar has broken, and most of the liquid has evaporated out.  This second room also has shedding taxidermied animals displayed on the tops of every bookshelf and along every wall.

Today, I got to sub in the latter.

Also!
I happen to share the same last name as a famous rapper.  Students like to point this out to me, each one believing that they are the first.  What follows bellow are sample conversations I've had over the years, showing how my reaction to this has changed.

The first time I heard this, circa 2007:
Student, upon learning my name: Whoa!  Are you related to [rapper]?
Mr. C: Why no, young man, I have not heard of this person, I shall have to look into the matter!
Student: Cool!

The second time through the 100th time:
Student, upon learning my name: Whoa!  Are you related to [rapper]?
Mr. C:  No.  Get back to work.

The 100th time and on:
Student, upon learning my name: Whoa!  Are you related to [rapper]?
Mr. C: Yep.  We're second cousins.
Student:  Really?  Then why aren't you [different ethnic group]?
Mr. C:  *shrug* We're related by marriage.
Student: Wow... can you get me his autograph?
Mr. C: Sure, if you get your work done.  I'll try to remember next time I see him
Student: Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment