Friday, November 18, 2011

A Middle School Band Teacher

I subbed today for a middle school band teacher, but only for half a day.

All three of the classes watched the same video production of a live concert put on by the Marsalis Brothers.  I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it way more than the kids.

I had the volume up pretty high, and some of the bass notes were slightly vibrating the walls in the back of the classroom.  There are a couple storage rooms in the back, one of which holds all the percussion instruments.  I wasn't sure what it was at first, but between classes I discovered that there were a couple snare drums up against a well.  The vibrations from the TV were making snares vibrate, so at times while the kids were watching the concert, it sounded like someone was in the back room playing the drums.  Maybe I shouldn't have told the kids that it was just a ghost getting some rehearsal time in.  They didn't REALLY believe me, but some of them were clearly uncomfortable keeping their backs to the room.



A girl in one of the classes asked me, "Hey, aren't you also a photographer?"  Turns out she and her mom came into the studio to get her volleyball pictures done.  I came up with some really cool action shots, with her passing and serving the ball (which was in mid-air).  I remember that session pretty well, partly because it was a lot of fun, but also because it was during my last day there, before I quit.

Lastly, this is my 100th post.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment