Thursday, December 1, 2011

A 7th Grade Math Teacher

I subbed today for a seventh day math teacher.

I'm not sure if the kids were really good today, or if they were so bad that I got numb to it really quickly.  Each class period had at least one kid that I really had to keep pressure on, in order to keep everything under control.

Why is it that a kid will go out of his way to provoke the other kid who has known severe anger issues?

So, my final class period of the day was also my prep period.  In every school I've ever worked at, this means that I get to go home early, unless they need me to cover somewhere else.  So, after I finished up in the classroom (finishing a note, straightening up, etc) I headed down to the office to turn in my key and ask if they needed anything else from me.  She seemed rather indignant that I would even ASK about heading home early.  She even said, "you're contracted until 3, right?  I'm pretty sure that means you need to stay."  While that may read innocent, there was some attitude behind in.  As I've mentioned in past posts, I've worked in a lot of schools over the past few years, and this is the first time I've ever encountered this.
Also, don't misunderstand my intentions here.  I'm not complaining that I had to stick around a few extra minutes.  I mean, I just closed the classroom door and played Angry Birds on my phone.  I just don't get why they have to be rude about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment